The Penrose-St. Francis Photograph Collection contains a variety of images of the hospital and its staff. St. Francis hospital was the first hospital in Colorado Springs. It was established in 1887 and began as a treatment clinic for injured railroad workers. The hospital was founded by Civil War veteran Dr. Boswell Preston Anderson assisted by four Sisters of St Francis of Perpetual Adoration who had traveled west from Lafayette, Indiana. Over the ensuing years, St. Francis grew into one of the largest and most respected health systems in Colorado Springs.