Urged by the National Security League, several prominent Colorado Springs businessmen met and formed what became Battery C, 148th Field Artillery Regiment in May 1916. Victor W. Hungerford and Daniel W. Knowlton, prominent Colorado Springs lawyers, were elected Captain and Lieutenant respectively.
The battery began training near Golden, Colorado in June 1916 and was mustered into Federal Service on August 16, 1916. Training continued throughout 1916 until completed. The battery was mustered out of Federal Service on February 26, 1917.
Soon after the United States entered the war with Germany, the battery was recalled to active Federal Service. It underwent additional training and was sent to France in February 1918. While in France, the battery was involved in actions at: Chateau-Thierry, the St. Mihiel Salient, the Argonne Woods, and finally Lion-devant-Dun where they were positioned when the Armistice was signed in November 1918. The battery served in the Army of Occupation at Höhr, Germany until they returned to the United States.
The photographs in this collection belonged to James Peck of Colorado Springs who served in Battery C.